• Station
  • Municipal
  • Library

wvfc010121firecederavefieldsnackbar

As many residents are aware, in the early morning of January 1, 2021, the Snack Bar at Langston Field on the corner of S. Clinton and E. Cedar caught fire. The volunteers of the Wenonah Fire Company responded quickly and extinguished the fire, however, the snack bar suffered extensive damage. The roof and all contents within the building were destroyed. An investigation concluded that the blaze was likely started when one or more individuals discarded used fireworks into the Borough trash cans located next to the back door of the building. The spent fireworks were still hot or contained embers that ignited the contents of the trash cans as well as the plastic trash cans themselves. This fire, in turn, extended into the building through the eves. The building was insured by the Borough and clean up and reconstruction has already begun.

This fire was completely avoidable and was the result of the careless and reckless use of fireworks at the ball field. In addition to costing the Borough a $1,000 deductible (paid by the taxpayers), the fireworks and subsequent building fire needlessly put the safety of the public and responding firefighters at risk.

Residents have asked me what they can do to help. The Borough cannot directly accept donations towards any cost of repair. One suggestion that I offer is for folks to make donations to the Wenonah Athletic Association to help defray the cost of replacing any items that the Association lost and to help them outfit the snack bar so that it can be quickly returned to service.

This is certainly not the way any of us wanted to “ring in the New Year.” Let us work together to do better by our community. 

Stay safe and be well.